Wednesday, December 23, 2009

True Spiritual Wisdom

Why do we ask for spiritual wisdom and knowledge? Do we ask for it with wrong motives? I have being praying this daily in my walk that my eyes would be opened to His wisdom and understanding and the knowledge of Him.

" that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of him, "
(Eph 1:17)

"And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
(Col 1:9)"

I realized as I prayed this many times, I was missing the mark. I was praying with wrong motives...I was asking for the benefit for myself. It was slight and deceptive, I was confident that I was asking correctly...but in the end it was for selfish reasons.

But as I began to really look closely at the first few verses in Colossians, it changed for me.

And so, from the day we heard, we have not ceased to pray for you, asking that you may be filled with the knowledge of his will in all spiritual wisdom and understanding,
(Col 1:9)

why was Paul praying with this in mind? Lets look at the following verses:

"so as to walk in a manner worthy of the Lord, fully pleasing to him, in every bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the knowledge of God. " (Col.1:10)

"May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy," (Col 1:11)

"giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light. (Col. 1:12)

So we have:
1. walk in a worthy manner.
2. Pleasing Him.
3. Bearing fruit
4. Increasing in knowledge.
5. Strengthened.
6. Enduring
7. Patience...with joy.
8. Giving thanks.

Having spiritual wisdom and revelation is not for ourselves, its not for the purpose to be able to have some deep insight or an ability to write books, commentaries and teach others. Those things are fine and good, but the sole purpose is for the Lord. To know Him, to walk in Him. It points to Christ...it is consumed with Christ. It is not for our purpose, but for His. It should cause us to decrease so that He would be increased in our lives. Spiritual wisdom is to point us to Christ, to humble us; to reveal His Son in us.

0 comments:

Post a Comment